Nilaveli is located on the Eastern coast of Sri Lanka, approximately 275km from Colombo and 16km north of Trincomalee. You also can catch a flight from Colombo to Trincomalee, then go by road to Nilaveli from Trincomalee, which takes around 30 minutes.
Nilaveli Beach is considered a paradise island, heaven on earth, with white sand, swaying palms, and remoteness. Nilaveli Beach is only about 4km long. The waves at Nilaveli Beach make it ideal for surfing.
Nilaveli doesn’t have much to offer apart from its beautiful shoreline that keeps on attracting visitors. The water in Nilaveli beach is clean and will leave you feeling like you are on a tropical island. Visit Nilaveli Beach when you are ready to unwind and bask in the sun.
Nilaveli, translated from Tamil, means open land of the moonshine. Nilaveli got its name due to its pure white sandy beach.
Nilaveli Beach is considered one of the best beaches in Asia, with the purest white sand. Nilaveli Beach is usually free from crowds and very clean making it appealing to visitors. Ensure you wear sandals or protective footwear when walking on the beach, as they tend to be prickly.
One fun fact of Nilaveli Beach remained untouched by visitors until 2009. Visitors kept away from Nilaveli due to the civil war in the north and the 2004 tsunami. In recent years, Nilaveli Beach has gotten back to its feet and is attracting visitors.
Things to do in Nilaveli Beach include:
- Go diving, snorkelling, and windsurfing.
- Hop on a boat tour.
- Enjoy an evening stroll and capture the breathtaking sunset.
- Visit Koneawaram Temple, which was built in 205 BC. This is the most admired religious attraction in Nilaveli.
- Go on a whale tour. Sri Lanka ranks highly in the world for places to go whale watching. You can almost see whales throughout the year.
- Sunbathe on the beach, which will leave you rejuvenated.
- Go swimming as the waters are calm and quiet, making it perfect for taking a dip in the ocean. The water is safe for both kids and adults as they are not too deep.
- Visit Pigeon Island which, is surrounded by a coral reef, making it perfect for diving. Pigeon Island became famous because of its marine life that includes blacktip reef sharks and a large number of turtles.
The best time to visit Nilaveli Beach is from April to October, when the sun is out, and you can get to work on your tan.
Nilaveli Beach is the place to visit when you are trying to get away from the hectic city life. It offers the highest form of peace and calm, leaving you feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.