Arugam bay is locally referred to as ‘Arugam Kudah’ and Arugam Beach is located on the east coast of Sri Lanka, 320km from Colombo. Arugam Bay Beach can be accessed from Ella or Trincomalee. It takes around 2hrs 30mins from Ella to get to Arugam Beach and around 5hrs from Trincomalee. It will take about 7hrs, by bus or taxi from Colombo to Arugam Beach.
Arugam Bay Beach is considered one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka and also a surfers paradise. Arugam Beach also offers other water sport activities for every age group and is very kid-friendly. One fun fact about Arugam Beach is that it is one of the top 10 surfing destinations in the world. If surfing isn’t right up your alley, you can relax with a local yoga class or stroll along the beautiful beaches.
Arugam Beach was heavily affected by the tsunami, and so many buildings and hotels were destroyed in the process, the remains can still be seen when you visit the town.
Some of the things you can do at Arugam Beach include:
- Climb the Elephant Rock, where you will be able to view the whole area. You are advised not to visit the Elephant Rock alone late in the afternoon or early in the morning as elephants will likely pass through this area.
- Visit Muhudu Maha Viharaya, which is a white temple that can be seen from Arugam Beach.
- Surf, especially during the high season. Arugam Beach has surf points for both beginners and pros.
- Visit Kudumbigala Monastery that is a sacred place that was built to provide shelter to monks.
- Go on a lagoon safari where you are likely to spot elephants, crocodiles, and other wildlife.
- Vist Kumana National Park.
- Visit the crocodile lake.
- Go snorkelling and look at the beautiful coral reefs under the water. You can also take beautiful pictures under the water.
The best time to visit Arugam Beach is from May to September, as the waves during this season are pretty amazing. During the low season from November to April, the beach tends to be quiet, but if you don’t mind the quietness, then it is a good time to visit plus accommodation tends to be cheaper.
This is one of the places in the world that you have to visit at least once in a lifetime to experience its beauty. It is not a very popular tourist destination meaning that when you go there, you are likely to experience some peace and quietness. Arugam Beach offers a relaxing atmosphere that is perfect for unwinding.